Saturday, October 31, 2015

Mission Mom

Hey Yall! Its that time of week again! :)

So I finally got to meet my baby! Actually before I met her the mission president calls and tells me her name (Sister Rodriguez) and where she's from (Mexico) and the language that she speaks (Spanish) and in that time I drop to my knees.... in the middle of the library... with tons of missionaries... because umm...She speaks SPANISH! How am I gonna do this! I dont know enough spanish mormon terms to help her learn English! This is gonna be a long three months i kept thinking. Finally the t-vans show up and there she is...speaking english!:) I was very happy by that moment! She does have a hard time still but she knows the just of our crazy english language:) 

So yeah my new campanion/baby is Sister Rodriguez, she's from Mexico, and she is a convert to the church! It's so fun to have her here in Long Beach because she has a great personality that everyone here loves! The first time we went tracting I wasn't sure how well she would like it or want to do it, but the Lord answered that prayer! We are in the GHETTO! I mean that's most of our area but this is bad ghetto. I just keep telling her sorry your first tracting spot is this but the spirit was strong there. But this is why we were there! The first 3 doors we knock on are all hispanic and keep telling us that no english so go away...then Sister Rodriguez jumps in and boom they are all interested! It was a dream come true! 

Also this week was a first for Relief Society! So we are all sitting there listening to announcements and one of the ladies, that doesnt come very often but we see a lot because her boyfriend just returned from deployment in Spain and we are teaching him, gets up and tells all the ladies thanks for your help while he was gone, then tells him to get over by her. We were wondering what was going on until....BAM she gets down on one knee and proposed to him! Like what in Relief Society! So we all awkwardly sat there in shock for a second he said yes and we all still sat there then someone started clapping so we all did. Then they left...SO AWKWARD! But a first for Relief Society:) 

There is a poem that kind of explains what a mission is like. An elder just returned home in a ward next to us and shared this with us. It goes...

A mission is a strange experience, it's a trial and a test.
A mission throws at you the worst, yet it teaches you the best.
They told me this would be the best period of my life
But I guess they didn't explain all too clear.
I came out looking for a bed of roses, I just wasn't expecting all the thorns i've found out here.
Since I've been out I've never been so depressed. I've never felt so blessed.
I've never been so confused, my mind has never been so clear.
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant, I've never felt Him so near.
I've never been so discouraged, I've never been so full of hope.
I feel i can go on forever, I think I've come to the end of my rope.
I've never had is so easy, I've never had it so tough.
Things have never gone so smoothly, Things have never been so rough.
I've never traveled through more valleys, I've ascended so many peaks.
I've never met so many nice people, I've never met so many freaks.
I've never has do many ups, I've never had so many downs.
I've never worn so many smiles, I've never worn so many frowns.
I've never been so lonely, I've never had so many friends.
Man...I hope this is all over soon...Gosh...I hope it never ends!!


I know most yall aren't on missions but this is true in life as well. Please just remember how much the good overcomes the bad and always look at the positive of everything! I love you all and hope your week is gonna be great!

Love Yall!
Sister Ashley Durtschi
Lunch with some members:)

No comments:

Post a Comment