Saturday, October 31, 2015

Rain Rain Rain

Hey y'all!

It has rained here everyday for the last 2 weeks! This last week it crazy cool! The lightning and thunder storm along with the crazy awesome rain was such a difference from Idaho rain storms...though I hear its rained like crazy there too! 

I finally went to Dirt Cheap last pday and its pretty much a DI for the south. I was just glad the southern people have something to relate my name to because none of them can say my name so I am Sister Dirt Cheap without the p...the people down here are so nice and so funny that it just adds to the conversations:)

We have an investigator named Taylor who is 22 (wannabe T.Swizzle) but she has the sweetest personality. We were teaching her the restoration, and the first time I've had to say my memorized first vision to an investigator, I say it and the spirit was so strong I just realized how much that simple phrase means so much to who we are and what we believe. I really have taken so many scripture passages for granted when they mean so much!

I had my first and last interview with my mission president, President McDonough. President and Sister Olsen will be here June 1st and take over the mission June 15th so I wont have another interview with him. It was kind of sad because I just met them and got to know them but the new mission president will be great!

The week before I got here Chrissie was baptized. I hadnt been able to meet here till this last week because she was hospitalized. She is such a strong lady for just being baptized and wanted to stay as clean as she was baptized. She received the Holy Ghost Sunday so that was a blessing to have also. Sister Winkel teases me that I have one confirmation but no baptisms...I just skipped a step. 

We were out tracting on Friday and we ran into this preacher. He was really nice but he wasnt interested so we moved on. Later he called us back from down the street...we were a little scared because we didnt know what he wanted and it was kind of a sketchy area. We get up to him and he says I know a lot about you missionaries and want to call your parents...IT WAS SUCH A BLESSING. He called our parents and let them know we were ok and were doing everything we should be. As we were leaving his house I asked for a handshake because we cant give hugs and he says "to hell with it" and gives both of us a hug. We then left and got home and realized....we never even got this mans name! We felt so bad, but it was pretty cool that he did this for two girls that he had never met and didnt even talk that much to. 

I was able to drive on Saturday! I havent drove in over a month! And Mississippi roads are different than Idaho roads. BUT we didnt die and all was well. Sister Winkel has been getting dizzy and sick so we think she was getting dehydrated...so H2O is the answer to almost everything down here. 

We went to a big family cookout for Memorial Day. It was crawfish everywhere! We had any type of meat you could think of! It was like the greatest day ever as a missionary with food galore! We also biked down to the beach and played catch for a bit. The lightning was out a ways in the gulf, then it hit really close and the hair on our arms went up...so we left and biked the way back home going through all the giant puddles! One thing I learned about the water in the gulf this week is there is a FLESH EATING BACTERIA in the water right now...so its not much of a distraction anyways:P

The work here is going great! Lots of people are friendly and open to new idea's but they are also stuck in their religion which is fine. I just love hearing the stories the people have and learning from them the knowledge they have about the bible...I have learned to love the bible! The teachings along with the Book of Mormon really do help you gain a greater understanding of how to be more like Him.

This weeks challenge...Read scriptures and pray together as a family! You really will see blessings come to those who do this and the family relations will be that much stronger! 

Love y'all and keep up the great work!
Love Sister Ashley Durtschi


District of champions!

Everyone calls me Sister Dirt Cheap...so naturally I had to get a tshirt to support it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment